The latest Burbs Football round-up, the team started on a new mini-series of tiered rankings for every positional group in the NFL. Here's the second edition of that series. For this slate of positional rankings, the team took a look at each team's backfield as a whole/running backs that received notable playing time in the prior year. Of course, some of the top backs in the league justifiably earned a higher spot even with a weaker backup.
Tier 1: Diamond
1. New York Giants: Saquon Barkley/Dion Lewis/Wayne Gallman
2. Carolina Panthers: Christian McCaffrey/Reggie Bonnafon/Mike Davis
Our top tier, diamond, consists of two future Hall of Famers in Saquon Barkley and Christian McCaffrey. In both of their short careers, they have been able to establish themselves as the leagues premier talent. While their styles of play differ, they both give opposing defensive coordinators nightmares and are a pain to game plan for. Barring any injuries, the two of these guys are on pace to have some of the most prolific careers at the running back position.
Tier 2: Platinum
3. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: Alvin Kamara/Latavius Murray/Ty Montgomery
4. DALLAS COWBOYS: Ezekiel Elliott/Tony Pollard/Jordan Chunn
5. CLEVELAND BROWNS: Nick Chubb/Kareem Hunt/D'Ernest Jordan
6. GREEN BAY PACKERS: Aaron Jones/Jamaal Williams/AJ Dillon
7. MINNESOTA VIKINGS: Dalvin Cook/Alexander Mattison/Mike Boone
The one thing that this tier has in common is an elite lead back paired with an elite backup. These backfields have shown to be extremely productive with both players and make up for a deadly duo. While the lead back is obviously better, the backup is not a far drop off and is able to produce at nearly the same level. As far as the list goes these are all pretty interchangeable and close together but this is where we believe everyone stands heading into next season.
Tier 3: Gold
8. TENNESSEE TITANS: Derrick Henry/Darrynton Evans/Khari Blasingame
9. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: Raheem Mostert/Telvin Coleman/Jerrick McKinnon